CyberGhost VPN is a free utility that lets you browse anonymously, encrypts your data and offshores your internet when using public networks. With CyberGhost VPN you can freely surf the web irrespective of the type of apps you are using or the location you log in from. It is a tool for protecting your identity that otherwise would be left exposed to the ever-growing politics and business demands. In simple terms, CyberGhost VPN allows you dispense your unsurpassed impression on the Internet, which is precisely none.
- Start from $2.75/month from the first year!
- No logs policy
- Unblock Netflix, BBC and many more.
- Servers in 61 countries
- 5 simulatenous connections
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Support for all vpn protocols, openven, L2TP, ETC
- Apps support on every devices.
What is CyberGhost VPN
CyberGhost VPN works by creating a virtual private network for the user that operates on a robust encryption keeping all data secure during any communications within the system. Once a user is connected to the CyberGhost server, they receive a new IP address. However, unlike the original IP address, the new IP address given by VPN provider cannot be used to identify the user or their internet connection in any case. CyberGhost comes in two versions, a free version that will boot the user offline after six hours, and a premium version that costs between six and ten dollars per month. The free version is good enough for most infrequent users.
What Does CyberGhost Do?
• Protect Wi-Fi
Since CyberGhost VPN will connect you to the servers in your home country, it will remember any wireless networks you use and provide full protection. Public wi-fi does not offer any encryption to the users, and their signals are broadcasted to anyone smart enough to eavesdrop. Therefore, as a user, you should use CyberGhost VPN at any wi-fi hotspots to prevent hackers from collecting your private information. And since the internet connection between the VPN server and your device is heavily encrypted, a hacker cannot access the encoded data even with any intercept such as packet-sniffing
• Unblock Streaming and Basic Websites
Irrespective of your geographic location, CyberGhost VPN provides you with access to numerous streaming sites. Moreover, the process is entirely automated to save the pain of having to search through many servers trying to find your favorite TV show. Whether you are a Canadian trying to access your Netflix profile while on travel, you can quickly do that using CyberGhost. The following are among the most common websites you can easily unblock using CyberGhost.
- BBC iPlayer
- Sky Go
The premium subscription of CyberGhost that is available at an affordable price provides users access to all of CyberGhost’s profiles and features on one device. As a result, a user can use all such features on their mobile device and computer provided they do not log in to the two devices simultaneously. Moreover, users who prefer a hassle-free experience and want to protect numerous devices at the same time can do so using the Premium Plus License. However, the Premium Plus License is costlier in comparison to the premium subscription and can protect up to five devices simultaneously.
How Much is CyberGhost?
CyberGhost has recently revamped its pricing plans to cater to the needs of all users. The new conventional packages have not only unlimited bandwidth and traffic but also compatible with OpenVPN protocol. Moreover, all the three pricing plans have an AES 256-bit encryption. Depending on the type of subscription, a user can access more than a thousand servers in place, connect multiple devices and access the anti-fingerprinting system. The change from the earlier plans namely the premium and the premium plus accounts. CyberGhost VPN has three major pricing plans. Each of these programs has all the CyberGhost apps, constant customer support and access to fast VPN servers. Below are the new three pricing plans by CyberGhost:
- A monthly subscription at $11.99 that is billed every month. The plan also has a thirty-day money-back guarantee for users who do not wish to continue with their subscription
- An annual subscription at $4.99 per month but is billed yearly. Here, you will pay $59.88 every year. The package has a thirty-day money-back guarantee for users who do not wish to continue with their subscription
- A six months subscription at $4.99 per month, billed every six months. As a result, you are going to pay $47.94 every six months. Like the packages, this pricing plan features a thirty-day money-back guarantee
How Secure is CyberGhost?
Security is a crucial consideration when choosing any VPN provider. According to numerous reviews, CyberGhost is ranked among the top ten VPN service provider. The service is secure, secure and has some great security features. Moreover, it has servers in more than five hundred serves in above thirty locations. Making it a viable choice for users looking to unlock content on the internet. Equally, its IP hiding ability will make all users anonymous on the web, hence securing their online privacy. Consequently, it can be safely said that CyberGhost VPN is safe to use. Below are some of CyberGhost’s security features;
- Strict No Logs Policy
Logs refer to files or information stored by a program to help in removing bugs and also for tracking purposes. CyberGhost has zero records on its servers hence impossible to track the user’s activity across the internet. As a result, users won’t have to worry about any legal issues that often happen with VPN services that keep logs of their users’ activity.
- Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP)/IPsec
The combination of L2TP and IPsec protocols makes CyberGhost a highly secure VPN client. And since L2TP is not necessarily for encryption, it generates a tunnel while the IPsec, on the other hand, takes of encryption, data encryption, channel security and packet arrival without compromise.
- Support for OpenVPN
OpenVPN refers to an open-source software that executes VPN techniques used to create secure point-to-point in routed, bridged or remotely accessed facilities. The software uses a unique security protocol featuring SSL and TLS to exchange keys. OpenVPN is capable of navigating network firewalls and address translators. It implements authentication through a secret key, a certificate, a username and a password. CyberGhost VPN employs this software for utmost forward secrecy.
- 256-bit AES Encryption
AES stands for advanced encryption standard. With HMAC authentication, it is strong enough to stop all snooping even from the most advanced technologies. AES-256 is the first open source open cypher permitted by the US National Security Agency (NSA) for privileged information. Its greater key size makes it fundamentally unbreakable, meaning that even if the servers get hacked, it would be impossible to decrypt the data. AES-256 similarly has the advantage of being tremendously fast. Therefore, when browsing using CyberGhost that uses the AES standard, a user will experience no noticeable lag regarding performance in comparison to other protocols.
What Devices Can I Use with CyberGhost?
CyberGhost VPN is available for Windows client and supports Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10. It not only protects Wi-Fi and cable connections but also provides high security. CyberGhost for Windows client comes with some pre-defined profiles for diverse operations, allowing users to pick a state or server to connect to directly. It is easy to install and use and has extra security features since it is based on OpenVPN
Starting with iOS version 9, Cyber Ghost application is available for Apple devices such as iPad, iPhone and Apple watch. The app is accessible freely from the Apple app store and is entirely functional during the seven-day trial. After the expiry of the trial period, it goes back to a general VPN service. The application is easy to install and use and is highly secure since it is based on L2Tp/IPSec protocols. On installation, it creates individual profiles, but the features are, only available to subscribers
The CyberGhost application is available on the android play store for devices like tablets and smartphones. The app is easy to use and install and does not need any extra configuration since it efficiently works out of the box.
- Mac OSX
Mac client is available for notebooks and computers that run on Mac OS X. Mac client automatically logs in users and provides a comfortable and straightforward way to use. The connection is secure and prompts alerts in the case of unintended disconnection. It is easy to install since no configurations are required. Extra security details such as the connection guard, kill switch, ad blockers and a no tracking tool makes it even better. Mac client is based on OpenVPN thus highly secure to use.
For native protocols such as PPTP, OpenVPN and L2TP/IPSec, CyberGhost is available for users who use Linux OS. While PPTP is a built-in protocol in many Linux distributions, OpenVPN and L2TP/IPSec protocols may require third-party software. However, there is no kill switch available nor a secure connection. Users will also be required to have a CyberGhost account and a paid subscription as well as enough knowledge regarding the manual configurations of the protocol being used.
Selected routers can be configured appropriately to connect with CyberGhost VPN network so that numerous devices can relate to the VPN simultaneously. Users will, however, need to access the router interface for them to change the configuration. Users will also be required to have a router that has an inbuilt VPN client, a CyberGhost account and a subscription as well as enough knowledge of native protocols configuration. Directions on configuring OpenVPN for router firmware for instance DD-WRT are accessible.
- Chrome OS (only native protocols)
Since the Google Chromebook has L2TP support build with it, adding a CyberGhost VPN connection is straightforward. However, Google Chromebook does not support OpenVPN and PPTP protocols yet. A user will require a CyberGhost account and an accompanying paid subscription as well as sufficient knowledge about configuring the native protocol manually.
- Raspberry Pi
Depending on the existing operating system, a Raspberry Pi CyberGhost is usable with OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP or IPSec. A user will, however, require a CyberGhost subscription and a CyberGhost account, a supported operating system such as Raspbian and some knowledge about manually configuring a native protocol.
- Kodi media centers
How to Use CyberGhost
For Windows, follow the following steps to install;
- Make sure you are on Windows 7, 8 or 10 pc
- Download the CyberGhost VPN trial
- Make sure to save data and close any open programs
- Double click on the download to start the setup wizard
- Follow the steps provided by the wizard
- When the installation is complete, CyberGhost will automatically start and prompt you to select a few profiles, each profile standing for a single use situation. Any profile you choose will expire after seven days after which you can buy a subscription of your choice
- To install an update, click on ‘restart and update now’ section
- In case you want to uninstall, open Windows control panel, click on programs and select CyberGhost VPN and uninstall
For Mac OS, the process is straightforward as outlined below
- Have the right system requirements including the right hardware and software. Preferably, Macintosh processor with Intel x86 processor and 512 MB RAM with a well-installed internet connection. Also, have Mac OS X 10.7 or later operating system versions.
- Download CyberGhost VPN from the company site and save the .dmg file
- Open the download and drag the icon inside into the application folder
- Start CyberGhost through the preferred program overview and install the extra too required by the program
- Activate CyberGhost through the yellow start button or select location and server and make the connection active
- Install the second additional tool and the third when stopping the connection
- The program will notify you when there is an update, allow the update and wait it is installed
- To uninstall the program, just click on the CyberGhost icon from the applications and drag it to the trash bin.
For iOS, read the following guide to install on your iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch;
- Have the minimum system requirements including Apple iOS 9 and higher, device such as iPhone, iPad or iPod touch and a CyberGhost subscription to use after the trial has expired.
- Download the CyberGhost app from Apple’s iTunes Store. CyberGhost needs app permissions for both VPN and push notifications. You will be asked to confirm access to a secure connection
- Start the app through its icon and select a VPN profile of your choice by swiping left or right at the bottom.
- Activate your profile by tapping the activation button
- Upgrade to complete functionality by ordering a subscription and tap the upgrade button
- Users who already have a CyberGhost account can only log in from the app with their credentials.
For Android follow the following steps;
- Have the appropriate system requirements including a smartphone or tablet that has at least Android 4.0 version.
- Open google play store and search for CyberGhost VPN, download and install, the application is free.
- The CyberGhost application requires some few app permissions such as media, In-app purchases, media and identity. Make sure to allow such permits as prompted.
- Open the app to start
- You can uninstall the app from the Play store by tapping uninstall on the respective application.
Linux users can efficiently use their CyberGhost subscription with any Linux distributions as long as such distribution supports at least one native protocol such as OpenVPN, L2TP, IPSec or PPTP.
- Have the necessary system requirements namely IPv4 Internet connection, CyberGhost account and a subscription and a third-party software depending on the Linux distribution at hand.
- Create a new CyberGhost account if you do not have one
- Order and pay for a subscription of your choice
- If you have a prepaid key, use to activate
- Select the protocol for use and od the configuration. Such could be L2TP, PPTP, IPSec, or OpenVPN since CyberGhost supports them
- You can check a guide online on how to configure the protocol that you select
- If necessary, you can deactivate IPv6
Kodi installations can be used with CyberGhost if such installations are compatible with at least of the native protocols namely IPSec, L2TP, PPTP and OpenVPN. Kodi and CyberGhost have compatibility issues, and therefore users should be keen on both. Below is an installation guide:
- Have the mandatory system requirements; a third-party software depending on your Kodi installation, IPv4 internet connection and a CyberGhost account and subscription
- Create a new CyberGhost account for free
- Purchase your preferred CyberGhost subscription; it could be a yearly, a monthly or a half-yearly package. You can as well activate a prepaid key if you have one
- Configure a protocol supported by CyberGhost such as PPTP, L2TP, IPSec, and native OpenVPN. Look online for specific installation guide of respective protocols
- If necessary, deactivate IPv6
Such devices include Router, Synology NAS, Raspberry Pi, VU+ Solo 2 and Chrome OS. If your CyberGhost subscription supports either PPTP, L2TP, IPSec, or native OpenVPN, then it is used with your device. You will need a subscription, a CyberGhost account and IPv6 connection. To install, follow the procedure below.
- Register and create a new CyberGhost account
- Order a subscription
- Optional: if you have a prepaid key, you can activate a key.
- Perform the configuration process. The configuration process for the devices of different. You should, therefore, check for a specific procedure for your guide online.
- If necessary, deactivate IPv6
Why NOT Use CyberGhost?
Although CyberGhost is one of the most reliable VPN service providers, it has a few disadvantages as outlined below.
- During a single session, the service is only available for three hours
- The free trial has numerous ads that often act as a nuisance
- The desktop design is not the best
- Customer support is not available twenty-four seven but only during work hours
- Might limit the kind of content that users can access or view
- Users are not permitted to send emails via CyberGhost VPN
- Dubious root certificate although CyberGhost has recently fixed the problem
Why Use CyberGhost?
Some of the advantages of CyberGhost VPN include the following
- The VPN has a zero-log policy ensuring that no user data or browsing activity is stored. This feature is the ideal cornerstone of the user experience since it alleviates the fact that it is under the EU jurisdiction. Moreover, the kill switch feature protects users from data dropouts and forcing traffic through the use of first-party DNS
- Unlimited traffic
- Your connection is heavily encrypted using high-level encryption standard such as the 256-bit AES Encryption making sure that hackers do not have access
- With the CyberGhost kills switch feature, a user is automatically disconnected from the internet in case there is an unexpected connection loss, making sure that no user traffic is exposed
- Your internet service provider will no longer be able to slow down your connection when downloading content or track down your browsing activities
- CyberGhost gives users a chance to access blocked content due to geographical restrictions such as Netflix
- The VPN service has servers in many countries as well as numerous servers to choose from
- Excellent performance at high speed with minimal bugs
- User-friendly interface that is rather easy to use
- Multiple pricing plans with a free seven-day trial
If you are a thinking of a VPN service to apply for the first time, CyberGhost VPN is a good starting point. The company continues to its services in the recent years as seen in many online reviews. To enjoy a wide range of features, users are advised to choose from one of the three paid packages. The subscriptions are not only fast, but are can also be easily customizable through the settings in place. Also, for users who often Windows operating system and desire to access blocked sites that have servers in Europe, this service is an ideal one for you. Also, anyone who wishes for extra security and a peace of mind during browsing can go CyberGhost. Although the service a few drawbacks, such cons do not significantly affect the performance of the VPN service. Moreover, CyberGhost service performance is higher in comparison to its close competitors in the VPN market.